Saturday, August 4, 2007

WWD Headlines: Aug Week 1

Women's Wear Daily (abbreviated WWD) is the daily sister publication to the W Magazine. It is probably read by everyone in the fashion industry. It is THE source for your need to know information regarding everything fashion. I signed up for the newsletters, although I really should get the newpaper subscription. (&you should too!) I'll try to post and discuss the headlines that I found interesting throughout the week.




Nordstrom Previews Metro Boston Store
Friday, August 03, 2007
By Katherine Bowers
"NATICK, Mass. — Nordstrom's first Boston-area store, which opens Sept. 7 in the Natick Collection mall, plays to the luxury retailer's strengths: shoes and service."
So, for those of you in the Boston area, you might want to look out for that. Nordstrom is actually one of my favorite stores to go shoe shopping and I can only imagine what the new store will have to offer the consumers. As a pre-teen, I stayed in Boston for a summer. I didn't find anything to exciting in the area I was located. Never discovered the mall, only a lil' strip mall up the street. To my memory, I dont remember anything worthwile in that city. I just remember my dreadful experience of getting hit by a car and the driver NOT stopping . But it's nice to see Bean Town get a new premier store. Time to go back do some research for other great places to shop out there....




McCartney Lingerie Line Set for Spring
Monday, July 30, 2007
By Samantha Conti
"LONDON — Stella McCartney is about to indulge one of her great passions. The designer will launch her first lingerie collection for spring 2008, under a license with intimate apparel company Bendon, WWD has learned."
Stella's clothing line is one that I adore. What makes her even more amazing in my eyes is the fact that she's against using animals for her clothing line. I for one cannot stand real fur. Although I'm a big Vicky's girl, I look forward to seeing what lingerie pieces she puts out this Spring. I can see quite a few delicate sets in there. And I know you guys remember those high-waisted jeans from Ciara's "Promise" video because I sure wanted them - those were indeed Stella McCartney.

( but the shoes were D&G)




Gap Inc. Taps Glenn Murphy to Be CEO
Published: Friday, July 27, 2007
By David Moin with contributions by Jeanine Poggi
"Gap Inc. headed north for its new chairman and chief executive, tapping Glenn Murphy, a Canadian with strong retail turnaround skills but no fashion experience."
You know, I am bit worried about this decision. I know GAP has not been doing too well with sales but hiring someone with no fashion experience is risky. To be honest I don't know when's the last time I went to a GAP. When's the last time YOU went shopping there? The nearest one in my mall recently closed down; I'm assuming due to lack of sales. I wish the company a positive turn around with the new CEO. Let's just hope they don't change the commerical forumlas. They're always something to remember.





Posen Signs Fragrance Deal
Friday, July 27, 2007
By Pete Born
"NEW YORK — Zac Posen, one of the rising stars of American fashion, has ended the suspense and stepped into the fragrance ring by signing a licensing deal with Selective Beauty. "
Another designer scent for you guys to look forward to.




Prada to Sell Azzedine Alaïa Back to Namesake, Founder
Friday, July 27, 2007
By Amanda Kaiser
"MILAN — Prada SpA said Friday that it has inked a deal to sell 100 percent of Azzedine Alaïa Sas back to the namesake founder for an undisclosed price."
Now, this is some interesting news. If you were to ask any celebrity what is one of their all time favorite classic line, I think Azzedine Alaïa would be on quite a few lists. The brand is known for it's body-conscious clothing, emphasizing what it is to be a woman. When describing the infamous little black Azzedine Alaïa dress that she wore on the Johnny Carson show in Harper’s Bazaar September 2006 issue, Rita Wilson described it as love. “With his big, strong stitches, he would caress me, hold me, tell me I was gorgeous every time I sashayed into a room.” After having the company purchased by Prada in 2000, It must be nice to have the company back.
Let's look back to 1996 when Azzedine Alaïa created a clutch and compact for Louis Vuitton's 100th Anniversary of using Monogram Canvas.
(pictures courtesy of an old eBay auction)







Welcome Back Azzedine.

No comments: